Tuesday 21 August 2012

Angora hats from mom

My parents recently went on a little holiday down the coast and I was lucky enough to get a gift out of the trip.

Now I am sure most of you reading this are thinking what could you possibly get as a gift from the coast? A shell? A bikini? Or maybe even a bottle of sea water with sand at the bottom?

Nope, my mother dear got me a rather expensive and fabulous mottle grey soft angora beret.
Soft and luxurious to the touch and exquisite grey colours and shades compliment my fair skin rather nicely.

Silly me thought angora was a usual sheep or goat but this hat is from the Angora rabbit!
For a split second animal cruelty thoughts ran through my mind and I suddenly took it off my head...yikes!
But the reason these angora rabbit products are so unique is because they are gently hand pulled from the rabbit while he is still alive and it is the extra or shedding hairs that are used.
So I then did not feel too bad as he was going to lose the hairs anyway.

Interesting facts on my angora hat:

1) it needs to be stored in a ziploc bag in the freezer - fish moths LOVE these garments of clothing and will munch through one in a few days!

2) the more you wear the hat, the fluffier it gets and more valuable

3) no animals are harmed AT ALL in the making of this hat

4) it is surprisingly very warm ( I wore mine today with a pair of jeans, grape long sleeve tee and royal blue cardi...very complementary to the grey)

And I like the fact that this garment is 100% organic and natural...in a way I guess.

LaurenLeigh cc

No comments:

Post a Comment