Thursday 8 December 2011

Hemingway's...Another Durban eatery

My latest Groupon voucher was for Hemingway's in Glenwood. Two main meals for the price of one but we decided to add in some starters and desserts just to round the meal off nicely. This is what I thought of it and the food we grazed on...


Starters was curried butternut and feta samoosa's with plum or sweet chilli dipping sauce. We both said the filling on the inside of the samoosa was a bit sparse and lacking some flavour. Throw in some cumin and chilli if the menu says "Curried" butternut and feta samoosa.

Mains was the "famous" calamari tubes with salad and chips and the fillet with chakalaka and avocado topping. The mains were probably the best part of the entire meal. The calamari had the perfect amount of lemon, garlic and chilli and the salad and crispy chips added the perfect combination. The fillet had a whirlwind of flavours with the spicy chakalaka and creamy avocado sitting perfectly on top of my rare fillet and sauteed potatoes.

Dessert was a Malva pudding with ice cream and homemade custard in a phyllo basket. This was a sore point for me. I originally wanted the chocolate mousse with brownie but that was out of stock. My boyfriend loves malva pudd so he was only but too happy to eat the next choice of dessert. When it arrived though, the ice cream was half melted, the custard tasted like watered down sugar cream and the malva itself was as dry as a day old muffin with no flavour.

The service was chirpy and responsive with a chatty waiter who knew his menu well and was a good salesperson. Although making me wait 20 minutes for the bill and then a further 10 minutes just to settle it didn't leave me with a good taste in my mouth towards the end of the evening.

All round - I will return to Hemingway's and I do recommend it. Just don't have the malva pudding.

LaurenLeigh cc

No comments:

Post a Comment